Znoud El Sit
Time: 45 minutes | Servings: 18 pieces | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Simple Syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon rose water
For the Filling
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon rose water
- 1 orange, zested
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- To make the simple syrup, combine 2 cups of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat and whisk until all the sugar has dissolved in the water.
- Once the syrup is boiling, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and add ½ teaspoon of rose water and ½ teaspoon of orange extract.
- To make the cream filling, combine 1 ½ cups of whole milk, ½ cup of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in a small pot. Whisk over medium heat until the mixture starts to thicken then keep whisking for about 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the stove and add in ¼ teaspoon of rose water and the zest of 1 orange. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Heat a large skillet with a neutral oil to 350°F.
- Prepare the phyllo dough by cutting them into long rectangular strips about 4 inches wide.
- Place a strip of phyllo horizontally and then place another strip over it vertically towards the bottom.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the cream filling right in the middle of the vertical strip and fold over both sides.
- Roll the horizontal strip starting from the bottom over the folded one. Use a little bit of water to help seal the phyllo dough.
- Fry the rolls in batches for about 2 minutes, flipping them over halfway through, until golden brown.
- Once removing a batch from the frying out, drop the rolls immediately from the into the simple syrup for about 30 seconds then transfer to a serving plate.
- Decorate with ground pistachios. Serve at room temperature or cold. Enjoy!