Time: 50 minutes | Servings: 12 servings | Rating: ★★★☆☆
For the Syrup
- 6 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Dough
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, 4 cups water, vanilla, and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat and cook down for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely and then divide into two large bowls.
- Heat oven to 425 F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter in 1 1/2 cups water.
- Add salt and flour, and stir until dough forms a mass that cleans the sides of the pan.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with dough and pipe 12 (5-inch) lengths onto the prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes, until the tulumbe puff up and turn golden brown.
- Place hot tulumbe into two bowls of syrup, pushing down lightly. Soak overnight and serve cold the next day.