Tres Leches Cake
Time: 1 hour + overnight | Servings: 16 | Rating: ★★★★★
For the Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs , separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Milk
- 12 ounce evaporated milk
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup whole milk
For the Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9”×13” pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Separate 5 eggs into two other mixing bowls.
- Add ¾ cup of granulated sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix on high speed until the yolks are pale yellow. Add ⅓ cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites on high speed. As they begin to whip into stiff peaks, gradually mix in ¼ cup of granulated sugar. Fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter gently, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Combine 12 ounces of evaporated milk, 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk, and ¼ cup of whole milk in a small bowl. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake, making sure to pour near the edges and all around. Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or overnight, to allow it to soak up the milk.
- In the meantime, whip 2 cups of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract until stiff peaks. Smooth over the top of the cake. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Enjoy!