Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes | Servings: 8 servings | Rating: ★★★☆☆
For the Batter
- 400 g sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 eggs
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 1 orange
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 250 g plain 2% yogurt
- 250 ml corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the Syrup
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 350 ml water
- 2 oranges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Loosely fold/wrinkle up the phyllo sheets on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until crispy.
- While the phyllo is baking, add 250 grams of sugar, 350 ml of water, the zest and juice of 2 oranges, and 1 cinnamon stick to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened very slightly; it should still be very liquidy. Set aside to cool.
- Once the phyllo is crispy, remove from the oven and crumble into flakes.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- For the cake, beat the eggs and 180 grams of sugar on medium high speed for 10 minutes.
- Add the zest of two oranges, vanilla, corn oil, baking powder, and yogurt to the mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Slowly fold in the phyllo pastry flakes and combine.
- Pour the cake batter into a prepared 9×13 glass dish, place 6 orange slices on top, and bake for 40 minutes at 360°F.
- Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and immediately spoon over the cool syrup mixture. Let the cake soak in the syrup mixture for 40 minutes. Enjoy!