Time: 45 minutes + 60 minutes rest | Servings: 12 servings | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Dough
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cups of water
- 200g + 1 T butter, cubed & chilled
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and water to combine.
- Roll the dough to a 12” rectangle and add the cubed and chilled butter on top. Fold the dough over to form a book. Place in cling wrap then rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the dough, roll it out to 12”, then do another book fold. Repeat this step until you’ve completed 4 total book folds, resting 15 minutes in between each turn.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- While the dough is resting for the last time, combine 2 T sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- After the fourth turn, roll the dough out as flat as you can, about 18”x12”. Brush with the egg then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll the long sides into a spiral to the middle to form a long “ear” log then slice the ears about 1” thick.
- Place the ears on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten slightly. Brush the surface with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining 2 T of sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown then allow to cool. Enjoy!