Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 20 servings | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Dough
- ½ tablespoon yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Combine the yeast with the warm water and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a pan, melt the oil and sugar together.
- Pour quickly into the flour and stir rapidly to prevent the formation of large sugar crystals as the caramelized sugar cools.
- Add the yeast mixture and ½ cup cold water and mix to make a firm dough. Do not allow it to stand.
- At once, take a little of the mixture and form it into a ball about the size of a golf ball. Flatten this against the convex surface of a sieve to a thickness of about ⅛ inch and a diameter of about 2 inches, then roll it up loosely and seal .
- Heat frying oil to 350°F.
- Fry the cakes in oil until golden brown, remove, drain well, and cool. Enjoy!