Time: 40 minutes + 90 minutes to rise + 2 hours to cool | Servings: 18 servings | Rating: ★★★☆☆
For the Dough
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup butter
- 2 ¼ teaspoons quick rise active yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the Decoration
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Boil 1 cup of water and add it to a bowl with the sugar, raisins, and butter. Combine and stir until the butter melts.
- While the butter is melting, dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup of lukewarm water.
- Add the yeast water to the melted butter mixture and combine.
- Next incorporate the flour ½ cup at a time, using 3 to 3 ½ cups, until the dough is slightly sticky. Cover and set the bowl aside in a dry and warm place for an hour.
- Punch down the dough and knead for several minutes on a lightly floured surface. When the dough is smooth and soft, arrange it in a circle on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the dough again and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- When the dough has rested and risen, brush the top of the dough with the milk and bake it for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once the bread has cooled completely, dust it powdered sugar. Slice and serve. Enjoy!