Dominican Republic 🇩🇴
Time: 3 hours | Servings: 16 slices | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Pineapple Jam
- 800 grams fresh pineapple
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ lime, zested
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
For the Meringue
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel and core 800 grams of pineapple, and mince in the food processor to remove any big chunks.
- Pour the minced pineapple into a thick-bottomed saucepan, add ½ cup of water, ½ cup of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Heat over medium heat until it reaches a gentle boil. Cover and boil over low heat until all the liquid has evaporated, approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, you may need to remove the lid and let the remaining liquid evaporate off.
- While the jam is cooking, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Beat together 1 cup of softened butter and 1 ⅔ cups of granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add 3 eggs and 3 egg yolks and continue beating until each is well incorporated into the mixture before adding the next.
- Add the zest of ½ lime , ¼ cup of orange juice, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of salt together.
- Continue mixing the wet mixture on low while alternating adding the dry ingredients and the 1 cup of evaporated milk. Mix until the batter is smooth, but make sure not to over mix. Use your spatula to make sure there are no lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool down cakes to room temperature before removing from the pan.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, mix 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar and ½ cup of water, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring heat to medium and simmer until it reaches 235°F. This usually takes about 10 minutes. The mixture should be thick and still light in color.
- Using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer, beat 4 egg whites until their volume has doubled, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar syrup while mixing on high, until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- To assemble, pipe the meringue in a circle around the edge of the bottom layer of cake.
- Spread the pineapple jam (to taste) inside the meringue circle then stack the other cake.
- To decorate the cake, spread the remaining meringue on top and around the cake, and decorate however you’d like. Enjoy!