Time: 45 minutes | Servings: 24 servings | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- juice of ½ lemon
For the Filling
- 3 cups walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Pastry
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 cup butter
- In a small pot over medium high heat, combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Process until very finely ground.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- On a flat surface, lay out a sheet of phyllo dough. Brush with melted butter.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the filling along the bottom edge of the phyllo sheet, leaving ½ inch space from the bottom, then roll up as tightly as you can.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. You should be about to fit about 12 phyllo rolls per baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with butter, then use a knife to score the rolls diagonally where you will slice them after baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, brush the baklava with the syrup.
- Finish slicing, then serve. Enjoy!