Time: 1 hour | Servings: 12 slices | Rating: ★★★☆☆
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
For the Topping
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
For the Garnish
- apricot jam
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough blade, add 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and pulse to combine.
- Add cubes of cold butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces form.
- While pulsing, stream in ½ cup of milk until a soft, shaggy dough forms that can easily be pressed together into a ball.
- Take the dough and press it into a greased and floured 9″ cake pan.
- Then peel and slice the 2 granny smith apples into a ¼” thickness and press them firmly into the dough, overlapping as you go.
- Whisk together two eggs, 1 cup of milk, and ¾ of a cup of granulated sugar and pour it on top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes in the pan then remove to finish cooling. Enjoy!